Monday, November 5, 2007

First Major Ailment

So we have dealt with our first major illness. Not that I'm complaining, it has been over a year, but I wouldn't mind if it is 18 years before we deal with it again. I'm not sure who actually did better with it. A must have been sick for days before we finally figured it out. We had been watching her for a while, but finally got the message. What form did the message come in you ask? Ok, well you didn't but I'm going to tell you anyway. It came in the puke form, multiple times!! Actually so many times I lost count.

She really hasn't been herself for a few days but she had her 1st year well baby visit on Thursday and the doctor said it sounded like she was getting over whatever she had. So we watched her but were kind of expecting to get out of it. She ate a good breakfast compared to her recent meals and played like normal so I thought she was getting better. But after her nap she wanted to sit on my lap. I put her there and she promply puked everywhere!! And that begun the wonderful day.

To make a long story short, we went to the urgent care place and got ABSOLUTELY no help. The doctor said it was a virus and sent me home with informational brochures. (Doesn't she know all that stuff is on the internet?) A couldn't keep anything down though. Not even water, pedialite, or bread. So after many hours of puking and cuddling (and anyone who knows A knows she must have been very sick to be cuddling with mommy) I took her to the ER. After spending literally hours in the waiting room fighting a crabby baby who was so thirsty she keep trying to steal another babies bottle, we finally got to see a doctor. After two seconds of looking at her he told me it was a severe ear infection. He said it was so red and inflammed he didn't know how any doctor would miss it!! Thats what I would like to know too!! Especially since I held my screaming baby down while the doctor at urgent care looked into her ear and apparently saw nothing??? I dunno, a little confused there. She got a shot though and was allowed to go home.

To put a good ending on the story, she still slept through the night (YES!!) and woke up ready to play. She has keep everything down (as far as I know, but I am at work) and is getting back to being herself. Whatever is in that shot should be in our bathroom cabinet!! I can't believe how quickly it worked.

Ohh, and the new baby decided to make yesterday the day it made its presence known. I've been feeling it for a while now, but yesterday it must not have been amused with whatever was going on that was taking mommas attention. A laying all over me and my (fifth) choice of pants must have been cutting into its personal space because I swear a few times I could feel the baby on the outside. Is it too soon for that?

No comments: